Employee training and development are a crucial part of the business game. Sadly, it is one of the least prioritised things in most organisations. Training enables employees to hone their existing skills and acquire new ones, leading them to perform better and improve productivity.
An organisation’s success is a total of what each employee performs and achieves individually and collectively. To make their performance reach the peak and retain the right talents, companies should do whatever it takes. And the simplest solution is to provide consistent and quality training to your employees.
Experience a premium employee training system with Mykademy's LMS solution.
Get started with a 14-day free trial.
What is employee training and development?
Employee training is a way to improve the workers’ technical skills and help them to increase their knowledge based on their roles and responsibilities. Employee training is short-term training to get quick results.
Meanwhile, employee development is a measure to boost the soft skills of your workforce, such as communication, attitude, leadership, and others. It will help them to achieve a broader vision of their growth in the future. Employee development is a long-term procedure, and it paves the way for the continuous growth of both the employees and the company.
Employee training and development as a whole is a process used by organisations to improve their employees’ efficiency, productivity, and performance by strengthening their knowledge and abilities.
Why is employee training and development important in business?
Here are a few reasons why employee training and development is essential:
- Helps to address flaws – Companies should thoroughly evaluate the current employee training program and address the issues before designing a new one. In this way, you can plan and create an error-free training program to help employees learn better.
- Boosts employee productivity – Productivity is influenced not just by people but also by the technology they utilise. Training and development help keep the staff up to date with new technology, enabling them to make better use of their existing skills and discard the ones they no longer need. It goes a long way toward completing tasks most efficiently and effectively.
- Increases employee retention – Offering an effective training experience to your employees will help them improve their knowledge, productivity, and specific abilities, consequently advancing their careers and personalities, resulting in improved employee retention.
- Overcome drawbacks – Every individual is flawed and might have weaknesses. However, the right employee training program can help them overcome the drawbacks.
- Improves employee performance – It is evident that performance improves when the gaps and weaknesses are rectified appropriately. Employee training and development focus on enhancing your employee’s strengths and helping them learn new skills. It is also significant for a company to break down its training and development requirements to target the right people.
- Increase employee engagement – When an organisation provides role-based training and development skills, the employees tend to improve the focus on their jobs to utilise the acquired skills.
- Drives employee satisfaction – An organisation that invests in employee training and development is likely to have satisfied employees. As the employee’s performance improves, they become more efficient in achieving their goals. Furthermore, they enjoy being a part of a company that promotes their development by providing them with the essential skills. All of this adds up to employee satisfaction.
- Boosts creativity – If trained regularly, employees can use their expertise to create and add originality to their jobs. Such characteristics are advantageous to the company in terms of streamlining the process and overcoming any existing obstacles.
- Helps overcome knowledge/skill gaps – As the business ecosystems and technology keep changing, training your employees will help overcome knowledge or skills gaps and gain better results. Moreover, training and updating your existing employees is preferable to hiring new ones as the latter is an expensive affair.
- Builds loyalty – By offering necessary training and growth opportunities, the bond between employees and the organisation transforms into loyalty. Furthermore, it motivates the employees to learn better and excel in their fields.
- Nurtures collaboration – When knowledge is shared uniformly, and employees help each other succeed, a spirit of collaboration and teamwork emerges. Employees also get the opportunity to learn about their company’s culture in depth throughout the growth process.
- Increase profit – The primary goal of training and development is to increase profit. Employee effectiveness, productivity, loyalty, creativity, and satisfaction have a favourable impact on profit maximisation, and the company can get a return on its investment.
How to choose the right employee training method?
Developing a valuable employee training and development program entails imparting the knowledge and skills your firm intends to impart and employing the appropriate training methods to help you reach your objectives.
While choosing the right training method, you should consider multiple factors such as:
- Time required to complete the training
- Resources needed to conduct the training
- Types of training methods included
- Self-paced learning or not
Considering these factors will give you a perspective to select the right method to train your employees.
What are the advantages of online employee training?
Even though there are different methods to train your employees, online employee training has its unique advantages. With the struggles caused by the pandemic, online training through a learning management system is undoubtedly the safest and easiest choice to train your employees. Not just safety, there are plenty of advantages in conducting online employee training such as:
- Flexibility – One of the most important benefits of online employee training conducted with the help of an employee training LMS is the flexibility it provides learners. They can easily access training at any time, from any location, and on any device.
- Convenience – Online training conducted through an employee training LMS provides convenience to learn so that workers can learn on their way to work, during their lunch break, or whenever they are free. It also implies that not everyone must learn at the same time or same pace. If they have a tight schedule, employees can access training courses during free time or when their energy and focus are at the peak for retention.
- Budget-friendly – Travel fees, catering, and venue hire can all be avoided with online employee training, as can the price of facilitators and physical training supplies such as stationary. Since online courses can be reused and updated with little cost or effort, a single online training program can reach considerably more people than a classroom workshop.
- Self-paced learning – Another benefit of online employee training in a corporate setting is that the employees can learn at their own pace and according to their own needs, which means they do not have to undergo any unnecessary pressure.
- Tracking and reporting – When employee training is conducted with a corporate LMS, you can easily track and analyse your employees’ progress and thereby measure the effectiveness of your training. Various information like attendance, course completion rates, the time a user takes to complete a course can be collected as reports using an employee training LMS.
- Collaboration – Online employee training provides opportunities for collaboration. Employees can also interact through multiple learning management system tools like LIVE tutorials, discussion forums, etc. These engagements can lead to collaboration and team spirit.
- Quick feedback – Timely feedback is beneficial for both employees and authorities because it eliminates the need for manual grading and feedback. Use employee training software to create win-win situations.
- Ease in administration – With online training, employees can register straight to the learning management system, and the rest is easy. Admins can log in at any time to see or collect any reports regarding the training.
- Interactivity – Interactive online training programs can be created and conducted through employee training management systems that enable employees to practise new skills in a secured environment and make them capable of real-world application.
- Designed for new-age employees – Digital learning is based on technology and is one of the key advantages of online employee training. Considering the fact that the majority of jobs demand their employees to use technology, the training sessions should also be technology-based. That’s how online employee training becomes relevant to new-age organisations and businesses.
These factors are more than enough for you to transform your employee training online. All you have to do is choose the right corporate training LMS and witness your employees giving their best and your organisation tasting success.
Employee training and development can directly influence your company’s growth and success. Like every other purpose in your firm, employee training and development should be focused on delivering targeted and measurable business results. The trick is to take it seriously, regard it as a capital investment, and focus on results.
Invest in a reliable yet affordable learning management system like Mykademy to set your online employee training on the right track. Still, confused about making a decision? Try Mykademy’s 14-day free trial today.