“Collaboration allows us to know more than we are capable of knowing by ourselves.” – Paul Solarz.
Back in 2014, a study conducted by Brandon Hall on collaborative and social learning found that 85% of companies had started experimenting with social learning.
Collaboration is indeed one of the key factors to run an organisation successfully. Social learning in the workplace plays a significant role in a collaborative learning environment. However, it’s not necessary to overthink how to create a collaborative culture within the company. Instead, you may focus on simpler solutions such as implementing an employee training management system with collaborative learning features like forums, announcements, messages, polls, surveys, screen sharing, video conferencing, and real-time chat, which are optimal. These features make it easier for employees to stay connected with their fellow workers. Besides, a learning management system helps them do collaborative learning in effective and meaningful ways.
The best LMS search ends here. Have you tried Mykademy yet?
Book a demo or start with a 14-day free trial.
Let us see in-depth about collaborative learning, its necessity in the workplace, and how collaborative tools and features can help employees learn and boost their performance.
What is collaborative learning?
Collaborative learning is a digital learning approach where learners can interact with their peers and tutors. Collaborative learning is based on the concept that learners can enhance their learning experiences by interacting with others and benefiting from each other. In collaborative learning situations, learners are responsible for everyone’s actions and tasks, promoting teamwork. Learning takes place through collaboration between individuals who share their knowledge and experiences for the greater good.
The chief principles of collaborative learning are:
- Socialisation/Social learning
- Collaboration for self-development
What are the benefits of collaborative learning?
There are several benefits for collaborative learning conducted through a corporate e-learning platform. It can be conducted either offline or online and can be done synchronously or asynchronously. It facilitates teamwork, streamlines workflows, and increases productivity in the workplace. It supports cognitive and effective learning processes. It enables employees to work together with trainers and improves learning through interactions. It allows users to share their knowledge and thereby makes it beneficial for others as well.
Why is collaboration necessary in the workplace?
Since work has become quite complex and team-based, collaborative learning and social learning are given greater significance these days. Moreover, the content, structure, and process of work have also changed. Proper social skills are required for people to get information, as work has become more time-pressured. Besides, people started depending on smartphones to seek new information and learn new things.
Conducting collaborative learning with the aid of an extended enterprise LMS can prepare learners to face real-world situations. It can convert the learning material into a deeper context and open new learners’ perspectives in understanding a problem. It can afford trainees opportunities for communication and leadership.
What are the tools and features that can foster collaborative learning?
A corporate LMS software has many tools and features to augment collaborative learning at the workplace. Let’s look at them in detail.
- Discussion forums – Discussion forums in corporate LMS systems facilitate online communication between employees. They can post their questions on a forum that other employees can answer. Trainers can analyse and moderate these discussions to ensure they go on the right track. Critical thinking and personal feedback are also possible through discussion forums on an enterprise LMS.
- Real-time chats – The chat option in an employee training management system allows employees to communicate with trainers or co-workers and facilitates learning in a real-time environment. It can also be a group chat to improve communication and provide pleasant conditions for collaborative learning.
- Announcements – An extended enterprise LMS enables you to make announcements on training schedules. For this, the LMS should have an announcement option on the group or community pages. Trainers can post information on different subjects, lectures or announce upcoming training activities.
- Learner groups – With a corporate LMS, trainers can share course content with specific groups and assign various tasks to particular user groups.
- Polls & Surveys – Using polls or surveys of the corporate LMS is a great way to collect user training feedback. Make use of it to realise the actual quality of your training and to make necessary changes if needed.
How can you foster collaborative learning in the workplace with Mykademy?
The simple answer is Mykademy, as it is one of the best LMS for business available in the market that offers all the tools and features mentioned above that can easily foster a collaborative learning environment in the workplace. We are trusted and regarded as the best in empowering organisations to take their initiatives into reality through digital learning.
Many organisations have ideas to create a collaborative learning environment in the workplace, but the plans fail due to improper execution or choosing the wrong/outdated learning management system. It’s an organisation’s responsibility to provide the necessary education, space, and opportunities to its employees. To build a productive organization, choose the best corporate LMS – Mykademy. Get in touch with our team to know more or experience a 14-day free trial.